Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Rainy Days and Wednesdays...

WHOA~~ what a way to wake up this morning... storms and torrential rains, just when it was time to get ready... crazy weather here in my home area-- tomorrow... snow!! Yup yesterday nearly 70 and tomorrow SNOW??? W-T-F?? 

But it's Wednesday so the work week is half over and the fun of getting ready to move begins!! YEEEHAWW!! Don't be jealous... I know it's hard not to be, but try! At least I have three weeks, that's a lot of time- yes? So today I'm on the hunt for boxes!! Nothing like calling the local liquor store before 9am!! Who consequently denied my request for their surplus cardboard due to the Super Bowl this weekend~ I guess people who aren't  moving need boxes for booze- personally I think people who are moving need booze more-- boxes or not!!! Whatever, I will never understand some ways of the world!!

OK so I've told you I have a critter  child by the name of Monkey (NO~ his birth certificate doesn't say Monkey on it, but that's what we call the climbing, banana eater in my house)  I've also dropped some clues about his special-ness.  So I thought I'd use today's post to expand on that a little.  I don't want to overwhelm you my darlings with dropping all his diagnosis's on you at one time- after all, I have had the pleasure of discovering them one at a time- why deny you that joy?? 


Today I want to take time to spread some awareness and explain the root cause of all Monkey's issues-- Cytomegalovirus (CMV).  Go ahead, you can admit if the first thing you thought of when you read it out loud was MegaLo-Mart from King of the Hill~~ I did.  Then I learned about how devastating and non comical this virus can be.  CMV is a herpes-virus like mono or the chicken pox.  It's quite common, according to the CDC 50-80% of adults have been infected by the age 40 and most adults and healthy children who contract the virus have NO CLUE they've been infected.  They may feel like they've got the flu, a bad cold or at the worst, mono.  However, the devastation happens when a woman is pregnant and contracts the virus for the first time (this is called primary infection). 

The effects of the virus to an unborn child vary from mild to severe, from asymptomatic to fatal.  According to the CDC some of the signs of CMV that may be present at birth include but aren't limited to:

  • Premature birth
  • Liver, Spleen and Lung Problems
  • Small size at birth
  • Small head size at birth (microcephaly)
  • Seizures 

There are also permanent issues or disabilities that can occur as a result of Congenital CMV (cCMV) these include:

  • Hearing and/or Vision Loss
  • Mental disability
  • Small head size (microcephaly)
  • Lack of coordination
  • Seizures 
  • and Death
My little Monkey has several of these conditions and others caused by the virus.  Including the hearing and vision loss, microcephaly, seizures and developmental delays. We knew when he came home from the hospital he was deaf in at least one ear- the rest... We're still learning about, and he's nearly five now.  

So how do you prevent this from happening to you or someone you care about who's pregnant??

  • WASH YOUR HANDS!!!!!! Often and especially after changing diapers, feeding a little one, wiping a snotty nose or handling children's toys.
  • Don't share food, drinks, forks with little kids.
  • NO sloppy kisses from your little one (or any other kid no matter how sweet they look, they're small Petri dishes!!) 
  • Clean any toys, counter-tops, anything that comes in contact with a child's bodily fluids. 
And one that might shock you... if you're already pregnant... PRACTICE SAFE SEX!!! CMV is also transmitted via intimate contact!! 

Ok, I'm not the expert on the subject but there are folks out there who dedicate their life to educating and informing the public on this virus- and the devastating effects it can have.  If you're interested in learning more about this birth defect causing virus why don't you visit some of my friends... Stop CMVBrendan B. McGinnis Congenital CMV Foundation and although I don't know them personally... Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.  

Ok now back to my box search... damn you Super Bowl weekend!!! I hope all the drunk fans are living it up with my boxes!!!!! But don't worry, I'll be back tomorrow with a new and exciting look into what's know as Simply- Shonda's Life!!! 

<3 S~S

No comments:

Post a Comment